Looking for a quick, healthy meal that is full of flavor? Then this is a great option for you! This recipe is not completely “clean”, but it could be adapted very easily!
Lots of veggies went into this skillet, including 1/4 of a small onion, 1 jalapeno, 1 red, and 1 orange mini sweet pepper. Plus I added a handful of torn spinach for an extra healthy kick!
This chicken sausage is AMAZING! I only had one left, so I made this meal as just a single serving. You could easily add more rice and veggies if you had more sausage available to you.
After I chopped all the veggies, I put them in a saute pan. I then removed the casing on the sausage and broke it into smaller pieces. I didn’t need to add any oil to this because the sausage had plenty of natural oils to cook the veggies. I continued to break the sausage into smaller pieces as it cooked. At the last minute I decided to add some garlic powder. I have a strong belief that garlic makes everything better! I used about 1 teaspoon, and stirred it in with everything.
Meanwhile, I cooked 1/2 cup of rice and 1/2 cup of water in the microwave, covered, for about 5 minutes. Again, since I was making only one serving I didn’t need a lot of rice.
Once the sausage, peppers, and onions are cooked, add in spinach. Cook just until wilted.
Once the spinach is wilted, remove the skillet from the heat. Meanwhile, stir taco sauce into cooked rice. I only used about 1 teaspoon, because I didn’t want it to be heavily sauced. I just wanted enough to add a little flavor and to add some moisture to the rice.
Mix the sausage and vegetables in with the rice, garnish with dried cilantro. There you have it! This meal only took about 20 minutes to make, including prep time! And not only is it delicious, it’s better for you too!
Chicken Sausage and Veggie Skillet
- 1 Al Fresco spicy jalapeno chicken sausage, casing removed
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon taco sauce of your choosing
- 1/4 small onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and stems removed, sliced
- 1 small sweet red pepper, seeds removed, sliced
- 1 small sweet orange pepper, seeds removed, slice
- 1 handful spinach, torn
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- Dried cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Cook sausage, peppers, and onion in skillet, breaking sausage apart as it cooks. Add in garlic powder.
- Meanwhile, cook brown rice and water in microwave, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork when done.
- Once sausage and peppers are done, add in spinach. Mix well. Cook just until spinach is wilted.
- Mix taco sauce into cooked rice.
- Stir sausage and vegetables into rice, garnish with cilantro.