What isn’t to like about cheesy broccoli and rice?? Even if you aren’t a broccoli fan, (like me!) this is hard to resist! Comfort food at it’s finest, with some tweaks to make it a little healthier!
After cooking up some brown rice and chopping some broccoli, I mixed them together in a greased casserole dish.
Meanwhile, I made a cheese sauce. I started by melting butter and stirring in flour. Then, I slowly stirred in milk and hot sauce. I usually struggle with making sauces from scratch, but today that was not the case!
After the sauce had thickened, I stirred in the shredded cheese and continued to stir until melted.
When the cheese sauce was done, I added it to the broccoli and rice, mixing all the way through.
I baked the rice for half an hour, then broiled for 5 minutes to brown the top.
After sitting for 5 minutes, it was time to dig in! The crispy top was amazing, and the cheese sauce was delicious!
All around an amazing dish that is a great alternative to the boxed version!
Cheesy Broccoli Rice
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 pound organic broccoli, steamed and chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used Colby-Jack)
- Mix rice and broccoli in greased casserole dish.
- Melt butter in sauce pan.
- Mix in flour, stirring constantly until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly stir in milk and hot sauce, making sure to stir out any lumps. Stir constantly for about 3-5 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
- Add cheese into sauce, stir until cheese is completely melted.
- Stir cheese sauce into rice and broccoli, mixing well.
- Bake at 400 for 30 minutes, then broil for 3-5 minutes to brown the top.
3 thoughts on “Cheesy Broccoli Rice”
This looks yummy. I can’t wait to give it a try. Here’s the recipe to the Easy Greek Rice I make: http://sweetseatstreats.wordpress.com/2014/08/17/easy-greek-rice/#more-477
Sounds great! Thanks for sharing!
LikeLiked by 1 person