Life has been crazy this week, and I will admit that I have not gotten myself into the gym yet. But! That does not mean I give up! This fitness thing is a continuing journey and one bump in the road doesn’t mean you turn around and give up!
That being said, eating healthy is one thing that I still try to stick with at least 2 out of 3 main meals of the day (plus snacks). This side dish is so delicious and is a great way to use up all those garden vegetables! I was a little skeptical when I first made this, because I’ve never really been a huge fan of zucchini or yellow squash. Once I tried it, I was instantly hooked! I’ve seen a few variations of this same recipe on other websites, but modified it to what I had in the house and was very happy with the results!
Summer Veggie Bake
- 2 large russet potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 1 large yellow squash
- 1 large zucchini squash
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- Slice potatoes, yellow squash, and zucchini into slices, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Alternate vegetable slices in greased 1 quart casserole dish, standing up.
- Drizzle olive oil over the vegetables. Top with seasoning.
- Bake vegetables at 425 for 30 minutes, covered.
- Uncover, top with cheese, bake for another 15 minutes.
21 Day Fix Container Count
This side dish is so simple and packs so much flavor, it is great for a busy week night! The best part? This recipe only has 229 calories per serving!
I found this recipe in one of my new favorite cookbooks. It is a Cooking Light cookbook from 1997 that Dan found for me. It contains so many quick and easy recipes that are also low on calories! Be prepared to see a lot of recipes from this cookbook in the future!
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken flavored bouillon granules
- 1 cup instant brown rice, uncooked
- 1 can no salt added french style green beans
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan, bring to boil. Stir in rice, cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, saute mushrooms and red pepper for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add in green beans, mixing, and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add rice into vegetables, mixing well. Top with Parmesan cheese.
21 Day Fix Container Count (1/2 recipe)
This soup is perfect for a cold winter day, and is so delicious it will have everybody asking for the recipe! The choice is yours if you reveal this is not-quite homemade! Simple prepared ingredients will have this soup on your table in 30 minutes!
Continue reading ➞ Corn Chowder
Have you found yourself busier this last month than normal? I know I have! On top of the holidays, I’m finishing up a semester, transferring colleges, moving, and beginning a new job! All of this does not leave much time for a lot of home cooking, but these recipes are always great in a pinch! Having something that is quick and easy to get on the dinner table is always a bonus on those busy days!
Continue reading ➞ Quick & Easy Dinners
Chinese food made at home! This dish was so fast and easy, it is a great choice for a busy weeknight dinner.
This lo mein could easily be made with steak or shrimp instead of chicken, and is a great way to use up any veggies in your fridge!
Continue reading ➞ Chicken Lo Mein