This shepherds pie is going to have everyone wondering what gives it it’s amazing flavor! The secret ingredient? Dark beer! By using instant mashed potatoes, this dish comes together in a flash, and will have everyone asking for seconds!
Secret Ingredient Shepherd’s Pie
- 2 lb ground beef (I used 90/10, but use whatever you like!)
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 bottle dark beer of your choice (I used Founders Dirty Bastard)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups prepared instant mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Brown ground beef and cook onion. Drain grease if needed.
- When burger is almost cooked, pour in beer. Turn heat to high, let beef boil in beer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in mushroom soup and frozen vegetables, mix well. Add in cheese and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Place beef mixture in 9×13 greased casserole dish. Top beef with mashed potatoes, spreading evenly.
- Lightly sprinkle paprika over top of potatoes.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.