Usually, trying to find a recipe that is both good for you AND easy is not that simple to do. Most healthy ingredients are expensive, and don’t always have the easiest prep. Well, today that is not the case! This skillet comes together with better-for-you ground turkey, brown rice, and it is chock full of veggies!
The best part? This recipe does not use any “cream of” soups that are loaded with preservatives and unnecessary ingredients.
I didn’t do the best job of taking pictures throughout making this, but don’t worry! It’s so simple you wont need them.
Simply start by cooking 1/2 pound of ground turkey, seasoning with 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce halfway through. Meanwhile, cook 1 cup brown rice.
I know 1/2 pound of turkey and only 1 cup of rice doesn’t seem like a lot, but the amount of veggies in the skillet adds to the mass of the meal. Feel free to add more meat or rice if you’d like!
Now usually I would prefer to use fresh veggies in a dish like this, but it is minimally processed and low in sodium! Plus, with the combination in the bag, I would not have been able to buy all of that fresh for the same price.
Once your turkey is fully cooked, stir in 3/4 cup fat free milk (I use lactose free because of my dairy problems!), 2 Tablespoons sour cream, 1 teaspoon parsley, 1 teaspoon McCormick (Salt Free) Garlic Pepper, and 1 teaspoon onion salt. Mix everything together until sour cream has melted.
After the sour cream has melted, stir in the entire bag of vegetables (still frozen) and mix well. Cover the meat mixture and allow to steam on medium-low heat for about 3 minutes.
Mix in the brown rice and continue to cook covered, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes. At this point you may notice the milk sauce is still a little thin. If this is the case, add in 2 teaspoons corn starch, stirring until completely dissolved.
Remove from heat and allow to thicken for 5 minutes before enjoying.
Turkey and Veggie Skillet
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 package Birds Eye Steam Fresh Asparagus, Gold & White Corn, Carrots mixture
- 3/4 cup fat free milk
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon McCormick (Salt Free) Garlic Pepper
- 2 teaspoons corn starch (optional)
- Brown the ground turkey in a skillet, adding Worcestershire sauce halfway through.
- Once meat is cooked, stir in milk, sour cream, and seasonings. Mix well until sour cream is melted.
- Add in frozen vegetables, cover and steam for about 3 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Add in cooked brown rice, stir to mix. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- If milk is still thin, add corn starch and stir continuously until fully dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow to thicken for 5 minutes.