This dinner looks like something you’d find in a restaurant, but comes together so easily, you’ll want to add it to your regular weeknight menu. Enjoying the whole wheat pasta won’t leave you feeling guilty with all of the vegetables and healthy salmon you’ll also be enjoying!
Life has been crazy this week, and I will admit that I have not gotten myself into the gym yet. But! That does not mean I give up! This fitness thing is a continuing journey and one bump in the road doesn’t mean you turn around and give up!
That being said, eating healthy is one thing that I still try to stick with at least 2 out of 3 main meals of the day (plus snacks). This side dish is so delicious and is a great way to use up all those garden vegetables! I was a little skeptical when I first made this, because I’ve never really been a huge fan of zucchini or yellow squash. Once I tried it, I was instantly hooked! I’ve seen a few variations of this same recipe on other websites, but modified it to what I had in the house and was very happy with the results!
Summer Veggie Bake
- 2 large russet potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 1 large yellow squash
- 1 large zucchini squash
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- Slice potatoes, yellow squash, and zucchini into slices, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Alternate vegetable slices in greased 1 quart casserole dish, standing up.
- Drizzle olive oil over the vegetables. Top with seasoning.
- Bake vegetables at 425 for 30 minutes, covered.
- Uncover, top with cheese, bake for another 15 minutes.
21 Day Fix Container Count
This side dish is so simple and packs so much flavor, it is great for a busy week night! The best part? This recipe only has 229 calories per serving!
I found this recipe in one of my new favorite cookbooks. It is a Cooking Light cookbook from 1997 that Dan found for me. It contains so many quick and easy recipes that are also low on calories! Be prepared to see a lot of recipes from this cookbook in the future!
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken flavored bouillon granules
- 1 cup instant brown rice, uncooked
- 1 can no salt added french style green beans
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan, bring to boil. Stir in rice, cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, saute mushrooms and red pepper for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add in green beans, mixing, and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add rice into vegetables, mixing well. Top with Parmesan cheese.
21 Day Fix Container Count (1/2 recipe)