Looking for a new way to shake things up for Taco Tuesday? This one pan dish comes together in a flash and is so healthy for you! Protein packed quinoa makes this dinner super filling, and the fact that it’s loaded with veggies is just a bonus!
Mexican Quinoa Skillet
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 large red sweet red bell pepper, diced
- 2 jalapenos, diced (optional, for extra heat!)
- 1 can Rotel fire roasted tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper (optional, for extra heat!)
- 1 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 1/2 cup quinoa
- Brown beef in large saute pan, stirring in seasonings, jalapenos, and red bell pepper about half way through.
- Once beef is fully cooked, stir in Rotel and corn. Mix well.
- Pour in water. Heat to boiling.
- Mix in quinoa, reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook, covered, for 18-22 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is fully cooked.
Options for toppings:
- shredded cheese
- black olives
- sour cream
- hot sauce
- pickled jalapeno peppers
- fresh (or dried) cilantro