Love the taste of the classic green bean casserole, but looking for something without all the preservatives of canned soup? Then look no further! This dish has all the incredible flavor of your favorite holiday dish, but without all the guilt!
This recipe involves making your OWN homemade cream of mushroom soup! I hope you all enjoy!
Green Bean Casserole
- 2 packages of organic green beans
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 oz. baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 6 oz french fried onions
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease 9×13 casserole dish, set aside.
- Steam green beans in bag in microwave, according to instructions. Once cooked, cut green beans in half, set aside.
- Melt butter in deep skillet, cooking onion and garlic for about 4 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms, cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour, stir to combine. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in chicken broth & half and half. Mix in salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir for about 8 minutes, or until soup has thickened.
- Mix green beans with soup. Transfer to 9×13 casserole dish
- Top with bread crumbs, then french fried onions.
- Bake at 375 for about 20-25 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.