A classic comfort food remade with no canned soups and a veggie twist on the traditional tater tot!
Cooler weather always has me craving comfort food. You know the kinds I’m talking about.. The creamy casseroles, the roasts, the soups. And typically, all of these types of recipes are not the best for you. So, instead of caving and making those unhealthy options, I take on the challenge of turning classic recipes into something better for you!
Enter the tater tot casserole. Typically, this recipe consists of cream of mushroom soup and tater tots. So, I made a simple sauce from scratch and replaced the tater tots with cauliflower tots. This way, the casserole is made from scratch and chock-full of veggies! And honestly, your family may not even know the difference!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon flour (gluten free or traditional)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning blend (I use Trader Joe’s 21 seasoning salute, but any blend will work)
- 1 can no salt added corn, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1 1/2 bags Green Giant cauliflower tots (or similar brand)
- Cook beef, crumbling, until no longer pink. Add in onion, seasonings, and olive oil. Saute for two minutes.
- Sprinkle flour onto beef, stirring to combine. Slowly pour milk into beef, about 1/3 cup at a time. Stir until thickened, and add next 1/3 cup. Repeat until all milk is used up. Stir in corn and remove from heat.
- Spray 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick spray. Pour beef mixture into dish and sprinkle with cheese.*
- Top with cauliflower tots in single layer.
- Bake at 425° for 40 minutes, or until tots are browned and crispy.