Skip the boxed meal and try this one pan copycat recipe that will be on your table in under 30 minutes!
Growing up, my mom and I ate a lot of dirty rice. I always loved it, so I tried it again as an adult, and could not believe how salty it was! So, I decided to do my best to replicate it, and I must say, I’m pretty impressed with how it turned out! Loaded with a lot more veggies, and ingredients that I can pronounce, this dirty rice was a total win!
- 1 1/2 lb lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 cups quick cooking brown rice
- 1 can (15oz) low sodium beef broth (or no sodium if you can find it!)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Cook beef or turkey until no longer pink.
- Add in onion and peppers, cook for about 3 minutes.
- Mix in rice and all dry seasonings. Stir to combine.
- Add broth, soy sauce, and mustard, mix well and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once rice is cooked, mix in butter until melted, and serve.