So I FINALLY got around to making stuffed onions! And once I was done, I wondered, why did I wait so long?! Seriously, these were AMAZING!!! I ate only one, but could have easily ate 3 more!
First things first, I didn’t exactly have all the ingredients in the house that the original recipe called for, so I had to improvise and make these my own!
Instead of blue cheese, I used feta. I like that is also a salty cheese like blue cheese is, and I thought it would for make a substitute! I also tried to lighten the recipe up a little, so I used turkey bacon and Olivio spread. Also, I added in garlic powder (I think I may have a serious garlic problem..) and parsley instead of thyme.
Coring onions was not as easy as I thought it’d be! I poked through the bottom of two out of my three onions, which really didn’t matter, it just caused there to be butter that leaked out while they were cooking.
I mixed together all of my stuffing ingredients, adding a dash of salt and pepper.
I then filled the onions with the stuffing, and wrapped them in tin foil, making sure that the tin foil didn’t touch the sides of the onions and that they were completely sealed.
I didn’t grill my onions, instead I cooked them in the oven at 375 for about 40 minutes. Looking back I probably would have let them go a little longer, so they may have browned up more. But either way, they look awesome! (But do you see what I mean about butter leaking? Oh well, lesson learned!)
I took that extra butter that leaked out and just poured it right over the top of the onion. Be prepared to use a fork and knife to eat this. It’s gonna get messy!
But the mess is worth it! So rich and delectable! My only word of advice is plan on making at least 2 per person. I am kicking myself for not making extras! This is a must try!!
Cheese and Bacon Stuffed Onions
- 3 small onions
- 3 Tablespoons Olivio (or butter)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Feta cheese (Or go for blue cheese!)
- 2 pieces turkey bacon, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- aluminum foil
- Slice ends off of onion, and peel. Use a small spoon to scoop out the insides of the onions. Careful not to poke through to the bottom!
- Mix together Olivio, feta cheese, bacon, garlic powder, parsley, salt, and pepper
- Spoon mixture into onions, completely filling them.
- Wrap onions in aluminum foil, careful to not let the foil touch sides of onions. Make sure foil is completely sealed.
- Place in oven at 375 for 45 min to 1 hour. Or if preferred, grill directly over medium-low heat for 30-40 minutes.
- Open carefully! If any butter leaked out, pour over onion when serving