Looking for a lighter version of your typical red potatoes loaded with sour cream or butter? These will be a great edition to your healthy eating lifestyle!
I didn’t follow any specific recipe for these potatoes, I’ve just watched my mom make a variation of these for years and thought I’d make them my own!
First, gather all of your ingredients (seen above). Not pictured is the minced garlic I added in when sauteing the spinach
I used half of the bag of potatoes, because I only wanted to make 2 servings, but this recipe could be easily doubled.
While the potatoes are boiling, saute 1-2 handfuls of spinach along with 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic in 1 teaspoon oil.
Only let the spinach cook until wilted, being careful not to burn. Once wilted, remove from heat
After the potatoes are cooked, about 15 minutes, drain water and smash the potatoes. I prefer mine not to be smashed completely, but this is up to your preference!
Once smashed, stir in oil, spinach, and seasonings until well mixed. And voila! Delicious, and lighter red potatoes versus a typical buttered mashed red potato!
Smashed Red Potatoes With Spinach
Servings: 2 (can easily be doubled to use whole bag of potatoes)
- 1/2 bag Klondike Gourmet Red potatoes
- 1-2 handfuls spinach, ripped into smaller pieces
- 1 Tablespoon and 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon McCormick garlic and herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 Tablespoon parsley
- Boil red potatoes in water for 15-20 minutes, until easily pierced with fork.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in skillet, add in spinach and mixed garlic. Saute until just wilted, remove from heat.
- Drain water from potatoes, coarsely mash in pan.
- Stir in 1 Tablespoon oil until potatoes are coated. Stir in seasonings and cooked spinach until well mixed