An easy crockpot meal that will add some major spice to your weeknight!
I originally found my inspiration for this recipe in one of my new favorite cookbooks. America’s Test Kitchen – Slow Cooker Revolution. It’s filled with better for you recipes that don’t skimp on flavor, and I LOVE that concept! I adapted this just a bit, because I knew I wanted to try adding a few ingredients to make it my own. If you would like the original recipe, you can find that here, otherwise my recipe is below!
This soup was so full of flavor, was plenty spicy, and is a perfect addition to my lineup of go-to week night crockpot meals. By chopping the veggies and sausage on the weekend, all I had to do was dump in ingredients and go!
- 1 package Cajun andouille sausages (about 4-5), cut into small pieces
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons instant tapioca
- 1 cup brown rice (not instant)
- 1 can no salt added Rotel
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 12.5 oz bag deveined, shelled shrimp with tails removed
- 1 can no salt added corn
- 1 teaspoon Louisiana hot sauce (more or less, to taste)
- In a six quart crockpot, combine sausage, pepper, onion, celery, and Rotel. Add in seasonings, chicken broth, and water. Stir well to combine.
- Add tapioca and rice, stirring soup well. If cooking all day with a keep warm setting, set on low for 3-4 hours, and allow to stay in the keep warm setting for at least 4-5 hours. Otherwise, cook on low 3-5 hours, or high for 2-4 hours.
- Stir in shrimp, corn, heavy cream, and hot sauce, mixing well. Turn heat to high and allow to cook for 20 minutes, or until shrimp is fully cooked. Serve with fresh biscuits and a side salad.
2 thoughts on “Spicy Shrimp and Sausage Soup ”
Great recipe! I just found your blog and I everything you’re sharing ❤️
Thank you!! I appreciate your kind words, and am happy to hear you like my blog!
LikeLiked by 1 person