A winter favorite! Beef stew is perfect for those cold and snowy nights.
- 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 3 cups diced yellow potatoes
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup baby carrots, diced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups lower sodium beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup quick cook barley
- 1 Tablespoon black pepper
- Parsley, for garnish
- Place beef a large shallow dish. Sprinkle flour evenly overtop. Stir to mix.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add beef and cook until browned on all sides, stirring occasionally.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt butter. Once melted, add in garlic, onion, and carrots. Stir, and cook for 3-5 minutes, until carrots begin to soften.
- Add potatoes, beef broth, wine, water, black pepper, and beef into pot. Bring to boil and turn to low. Cover and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir barley into stew, cover and cook additional ten minutes.
- Serve topped with parsley, if desired.