When a casserole is both healthy and delicious, that’s a win win in my book! This comes together in a snap, and can be prepped ahead of time and then thrown in the oven during the week!
Mexican Rice Casserole
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, diced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced (optional! Leave out if you’re not a spicy food fan
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 8oz can organic tomato sauce, no salt added
- 1/2 Tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon each:
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese, divided
- Brown ground turkey for about 3 minutes, crumbling as it cooks.
- Stir in onion and peppers, continue to cook until turkey is no longer pink.
- Stir in 1/4 cup cheese, tomato sauce, hot sauce, seasonings, and rice. Stir until well combined.
- Pour mixture into greased 3 qt. casserole dish. Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and fresh cilantro.
- Bake casserole, covered, at 400 for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream or Greek yogurt and tortilla chips.
21 day fix approved!!
1 serving = 1/6 of casserole
1 green1/2 blue